Sandia National Laboratories RD Computer Engineer-High Integrity Software Systems (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
The Engineering and Design Integration Center (2600) is a multi-discipline, product-focused organization that provides engineering design, components, subsystems, integration, testing, and field support for nuclear weapons and other national security applications. Examples of these applications include the development of satellite and other space-flight payloads, testing for high consequence military programs, nuclear weapon safety mechanisms, high reliability electronic products, as well as telemetry and software systems.
The successful applicant will join a high performing technical team in the design, development, qualification, and delivery of highly specialized hardware and software components and subsystems for national security applications. These components frequently must be designed to meet demanding performance specifications, offer extremely high reliability, enable integration and interfacing to complex host systems, and meet stringent survivability requirements in adverse environments. Successful candidates, depending on job selection/placement, will have the opportunity to make meaningful contributions in a wide variety of software and/or hardware disciplines including embedded software development for real-time systems, printed circuit board design, digital design using VHDL or Verilog, and trusted systems.
Some travel may be required.
- Bachelor's and Master's degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or relevant discipline plus 5 or more years of relevant experience.
- Software design, development, and delivery experience in C, C++, or similar programming languages
- Experience utilizing revision control tools (CVS, Subversion, GIT, etc.) in a configuration controlled environment
- Experience with VHDL and/or Verilog and FPGAs
- Ability to obtain a DOE Q-level security clearance
- Ability to work in a team environment interacting with multidisciplinary subject matter experts.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills, typically evidenced through technical publications and presentations.
- An understanding of commonly used data structures and algorithms for software development.
- An understanding of software design and architecture, including use of common UML artifacts and diagrams.
- Proficiency in Python or other scripting languages.
- Familiarity with Agile development and Scrum process.
- Experience with hardware and/or software development for real-time systems.
- Experience with multiple FPGA architectures.
- PCB design experience for high speed applications.
- Proven track record of delivering high quality products.
- Experience with the entire design development cycle from requirements definition to requirements verification and delivery.
- Ability to use standard lab equipment (oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, etc.)
- Active DOE Q-Level security clearance.
Department 2622, High Integrity Software Systems, provides surety engineering for high consequence hardware and software based systems for our government and industry customers. Major projects include developing NSA certified fail-safe systems and providing Anti-Tamper System Engineering intended to prevent and/or delay exploitation of critical technologies.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.